SILVER PLUS ~ CLASS RATION 4:1
CAP COLOR ~ ROYAL BLUE
Silver Plus Level 2 – 4 years and up
Silver Plus Level 1 is the beginner/anxiety starting point for transitioning into the higher, non-survival levels. It is still very much about survival skills, which should take priority until mastery is reached, with higher skills layered on in sequence until the swimmer is confident enough in the water to move on to Silver Plus Level 2.
Broad Indicators of Silver Plus Level 1
- Child is too tall/old for stair level but has little to no skills and still needs survival training.
- Child is too old for stair level and has anxieties about the water.
- Child has graduated from the stair levels but does not have the skills necessary to move directly to SP2.
Specific Indicators of Silver Plus Level 1
- No breath control. Swimmer cannot hold their breath under water for more than 3 seconds.
- When asked for eyes in and they can only touch their face to the water for a second then pop back up. **Usually associated with anxiety
- No body position (i.e., swimmer runs or doggy paddle style – kicks through the water, instead of streamlining and kicking with legs straight and feet behind.)
- No independent back float. (Swimmer cannot stay floating on his or her back independently for at least 3-5 seconds.)
- Unwilling/unable to transition smoothly from front swim position to back float.
Silver Plus Level 2 is the transition/preparatory level for Team Gold. Students in this level are young but reasonably independent and confident swimmers in need of training in their freestyle, backstroke and breath discipline I.E., Purposely coming up for air at regular intervals, not just waiting until desperate. (Not to be confused with breath control) so they can eventually cross from shallow water to deep to shallow again with minimal support.
Broad Requirements of Silver Plus Level 2
- Student has had previous swim lessons and has the necessary skills to begin directly at Silver Plus Level 2
- Student has graduated from Silver Plus Level 1
Specific Requirements of Silver Plus Level 2
- Good breath control. Swimmer can hold their breath under water for 3 seconds or more while swimming.
- Good body position. Swimmer can streamline to and from instructor.
- Independent back float. (Swimmer can stay floating on his or her back independently for at least 3-5 seconds.)
- Able to transition smoothly from front swim position to back float with a minimum of assistance.(Does most of the work, just needs prompting and the occasional assistance smoothing body position.)